Air handlers play an essential role in your HVAC system. They circulate heated or cooled air throughout your home, ensuring your indoor environment is comfortable year-round. However, air handlers can break down like any mechanical system, leaving you with no heat or air conditioning when needed most. That is why it is crucial to find a reliable air handler repair service provider in the Saint Cloud, MN, area.
Common Causes of Air Handler Problems
If you’re experiencing issues with your air handler, several potential culprits exist. Some common causes of air handler problems include:
1. Dirty air filters – Air filters capture dust, dirt, and other debris that can accumulate in your HVAC system. Over time, these filters can become clogged, restricting airflow and reducing your air handler’s efficiency. This can cause your system to work harder to circulate air, leading to breakdowns and other issues.
2. Electrical problems – Your air handler relies on a complex network of electrical components, including relays, capacitors, and motors. If these components fail, your air handler may stop working or work inefficiently.
3. Refrigerant leaks – If your air handler relies on refrigerant to cool your home, a refrigerant leak can cause your system to work poorly or stop working altogether.
4. Dirty coils – The coils in your air handler are responsible for transferring heat between your home’s air and your HVAC system’s refrigerant. If these coils become dirty or clogged, they can reduce the efficiency of your air handler and lead to breakdowns.
5. Faulty thermostats – Your thermostat regulates the temperature in your home. If your thermostat fails or malfunctions, it can cause your air handler to work incorrectly or not at all.
What Happens When Your Air Handler Breaks Down?
When your air handler breaks down, it can leave you with no heating or air conditioning, depending on the season. This can be especially dangerous during extreme weather conditions when temperatures rise or fall to dangerous levels. In addition to being uncomfortable, a broken air handler can also lead to health issues, as poor indoor air quality can exacerbate respiratory conditions and allergies. If you suspect your air handler is starting to fail you, immediately contact your trusted air handler repair company in Saint Cloud, MN, and the surrounding areas.
What You Can Do to Keep Your Air Handler in Good Working Order
The good news is that there are several steps you can take to keep your air handler in good working order. By following these tips, you can reduce the likelihood of breakdowns and ensure that your HVAC system operates efficiently year-round:
1. Change your air filters regularly – This is the most important thing you can do to keep your air handler in good working order. Be sure to change your filters at least once every three months (or more often if you have pets or allergies). This will help keep your system clean and prevent clogs that can lead to breakdowns.
2. Schedule regular maintenance – Having your air handler serviced by a professional at least once a year can help catch potential issues before they become major problems. A professional technician can also clean and inspect your system, ensuring it operates efficiently.
3. Keep your coils clean – Besides changing your air filters, keeping your coils clean is essential. This will help to ensure that your system operates efficiently and that heat is transferred effectively.
4. Check your thermostat regularly – If it is malfunctioning, it can cause your air handler to work incorrectly. Be sure to check your thermostat regularly to ensure it is working correctly and set to the right temperature.
5. Seal air leaks – Air leaks in your home can cause your air handler to work harder than necessary, leading to breakdowns and increased energy bills. Be sure to seal any leaks in your home’s ductwork or around windows and doors.
6. Consider upgrading your system – If your air handler is old or inefficient, consider an upgrade. Newer systems are designed to be more energy-efficient and may save money on energy bills in the long run.
Your air handler plays a vital role in keeping your home comfortable year-round. By understanding common issues that can cause air handler problems, what can happen when your air handler breaks down, and what you can do to keep your system in good working order, you can reduce the likelihood of breakdowns and ensure that your HVAC system operates efficiently. If you’re experiencing issues with your air handler and need to find a contractor for air handler repair in Saint Cloud, MN, the iHeart Amana “Find Local Dealer“ tool can help you find a trusted and experienced professional in your area.